Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Diabetes scare & 29 weeks

I had my monthly check up at the doctor a couple of days after I got home from the scrap retreat.
This check up included the delightful glucose test! (Not!)
So I got up that morning, ate some breakfast and took my drink. 
I drank it over the bathroom sink because unfortunately this time I kept gagging and spitting it out!
Remi sat by me and kept telling me "Mommy, it dus duce!" (It's just juice!)

When the doctor came in with the results of the test, he said, "You have diabetes, and we don't think that it is just gestational. We are referring you to the welness center at EIRMC this week for another test."

I was pretty shocked and scared, but was ready to make changes to my diet and lifestlye if needed.
Two days later, the wellness finally called to schedule an appointment. It was for the next day and it was at
1:30 pm. I was asking around and talking to family and a lot of people said that you are supposed to fast.
They never told me that, but I thought I should call and check in case.
Turns out I was supposed to fast for 12 hours :(
This seems pretty impossible for me, especially when I am pregnant. 
I called me doctor and they were annoyed that 1- didn't tell me to fast when they originally set up the appointment and 2- that they were making me wait until the afternoon when it should be done first thing.

So my doctor's office set up another appointment at their office in the morning.
It was the 3 hour test, and after taking it, my numbers were all low and they told me that I didn't have any kind of diabetes!

I got to thinking...before I took the first test with Remi, I was told no sugar etc.
I didn't exactly follow that the second time and had sunny d and pancakes (with syrup) right before my test.

Moral of the story, don't eat TONS of sugar before your glucose test, and you
 won't have to go through any of this! 
I am grateful it turned out to be a false alarm. 
(I promise that I don't normally eat that unhealthy!) :)


Here is my baby bump picture at 29 weeks!!
I cannot even wait to meet this little girl of ours!
Remi tells me every day "Bebe hone!"
(Baby home!)
She also tells me that she will change her "poot" diapers for me.
I absolutely love feeling her moving in my belly. She is quite the acrobat lately.
Remi kisses and hugs it all of the time. 
I can't wait to see her as a big sister even though I have the hardest time realizing that Remi is not my baby anymore. Not too much longer! Can't wait. 


1 comment:

  1. love ya! :O) Can't wait for Brixton to join your cute family!

    ReplyDelete